Thursday, July 19, 2012

For Colored Girls





Rating: 4/5

I literally just finished watching this movie. This movie right here, is a masterpiece. It was a bit slow in the beginning and I had fooled myself into thinking I was not going to cry. Foolish me cried several times afterward, even when the credits rolled. This movie is powerful. Why? Because it portrayed these woman with different lifestyles and stripped back their layers and revealed to us, the watchers, the audience, that when life knocks you down to the point you want to die, you still have to get back up. These woman only have two things in common: they are african american woman and they have their own individual issues. What I really liked about this movie was that they used woman who represented the different lifestyles of people. One was rich, another was being abused, one couldn't have children, and one was a promiscuous woman.

At times it feels like too many things are going on at once, like you don't have time to breathe because there is even more drama unfolding on the screen. Another thing that put me off was the way they spoke at times. It was like they were spitting poetry and as a writer and poet myself, I found that beautiful but confusing at times. I just didn't understand why they were using poetry to speak, but I guessed it was to show what they felt in a way that differed from the usual. 

For Colored Girls is a beautiful movie meant to teach that id there is one thing you should hold onto, it is yourself. It is a movie meant to be watched and enjoyed. When you watch this film, start it with an open mind and an even more open heart , so give it a chance, you won't be sorry.

No comments: